From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Andrew Papada
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:33 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Invoking a Web Service from an i5

Hi All:

Has anyone tried ever tried invoking a Web Service from the AS/400 using RPG
ILE?  My thought is that I could stick the Apache Axis jar into the IFS,
write a Java client to import the necessary Axis classes to invoke a Web
Service, then prototype the class in an ILE procedure and invoke it to get
the response back to the RPG program.  The reason I need to do this is
because I need our RPG based OMS system to initiate the request.

My question is will sticking the Apache Axis jar on the AS/400 be enough?
We have no application server running on our 400.  Is an http server
required for a client to invoke a web service or does Axis use sockets to do
such?  Would it be better to just do the socket programming inside the RPG
app?

Thanks a million to anyone who can help me on this issue.

Sincerely,

Andy

Andrew Papada
Software Engineer
GSI Commerce, Inc.
Phone: (610)491-7613
Email: papadaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named in this transmission. If
you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of the contents of
this transmission is strictly prohibited and that you should delete the
contents of this transmission from your system immediately. Any comments or
statements contained in this transmission do not necessarily reflect the
views or position of GSI Commerce, Inc. or its subsidiaries and/or
affiliates.