Note that josep's suggestion of

jdbc:as400://AS400;date format=iso;sort=language;sort weight=shared

Will perform better than using upper().

By using upper(), the query engine can't make use of any indexs.

You'll want to create an index from a session with sort weight = shared.  (or
via STRSQL, hit F13 and change the "Sort sequence" attribute to *LANGIDSHR).

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343