I'm not exactly sure as to how I go about getting this to work...The
example on the site is for someone who was having trouble getting a
workbook created...I'm trying to open up an existing one...

if someone could help me out on how I can get this stack trace, that'd be
great...I don't know a whole lot about java, so trying to use this in an
RPGLE program is quite a challenge for me...I can't get this to
compile...I did create the DebugCREATEWB in my /QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext/
folder on the IFS and it compiled and created the class, so I guess I'm
not sure exactly how to go about using it...I've also got the
poi-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar file in this IFS folder...here's the code I'm
trying to recreate from that thread:

h dftactgrp(*no) thread(*serialize)
h option(*srcstmt:*nodebugio:*noshowcpy)
dwb               s               o   class(*JAVA:
d                                     'org.apache.poi-
d                                     hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook')
dcreatewb         pr                  extproc(*java:
d                                     'DebugCREATEWB.org.apache.poi-
d                                     hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook':
d                                     'createWB')
 /free
  wb = createwb();
  *inlr = *on;
 /end-free

if it helps, i'll post the actual code of what i'm trying to accomplish...

h dftactgrp(*no) bnddir('HSSF') thread(*serialize)
h option(*srcstmt:*nodebugio:*noshowcpy) bnddir('QC2LE')
 /copy qsysinc/qrpglesrc,jni
 /copy qrpglesrc,hssf_h
d book            s                   like(HSSFWorkbook)
d spreadsheet     s                   like(HSSFSheet)
 /free
  hssf_begin_object_group(100);
  monitor;    //the next line fails every time in batch but not
interactively...
    book = hssf_open('/home/SCESSNA/excel/May05DailyLaborHours2.xls');
    monitor;
      spreadsheet = hssf_getSheet(book:'May 25');
      if spreadsheet = *null;
        spreadsheet = HSSF_newSheet(book:'May 25');
      endif;
    on-error;
      spreadsheet = HSSF_newSheet(book:'May 25');
    endmon;
  on-error;
    book = new_HSSFWorkbook();
    spreadsheet = HSSF_newSheet(book:'May 25');
  endmon;
  HSSF_save(book:'/home/SCESSNA/excel/May05DailyLaborHours2.xls');
  hssf_end_object_group();
  *inlr = *on;
 /end-free

Are you guys using Scott Klement's service program or do you have your
own?  Thanks again for all your help...

Shane Cessna
iSeries Programmer
iSeries WAS Administrator
North American Lighting, Inc.
(618) 662-4483 x2776
shane_cessna@xxxxxxx

Regarding your original problem, please have a look at
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200402/msg00301.html and then post
the
complete stack trace.

java.io.InputStream is an abstract class that cannot be instantiated.  You
need to instantiate a concrete subclass of it like FileInputStream.

Gary