i can't really see what %status shows since i'm in batch...here's the job
log though...

 5722SS1 V5R3M0 040528                           Job Log           NAL820
05/26/05 08:49:08          Page    1

  Job name . . . . . . . . . . :   JPTEST          User  . . . . . . :
SCESSNA      Number . . . . . . . . . . . :   787777
  Job description  . . . . . . :   SHANEJOBD       Library . . . . . :
QGPL

MSGID      TYPE                    SEV  DATE      TIME             FROM
PGM     LIBRARY     INST     TO PGM      LIBRARY     INST

CPF1124    Information             00   05/26/05  08:48:47.324152 QWTPIIPP
    QSYS        061C     *EXT                    *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Job
787777/SCESSNA/JPTEST started on 05/26/05 at 08:48:47
                                       in subsystem QBATCH in QSYS. Job
entered system on 05/26/05 at 08:48:47.
CPI1125    Information             00   05/26/05  08:48:47.324672 QWTPCRJA
    QSYS        0108     *EXT                    *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Job
787777/SCESSNA/JPTEST submitted.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   Job
787777/SCESSNA/JPTEST submitted to job queue QBATCHCE
                                       in QGPL from job
786691/SCESSNA/QPADEV0037. Job 787777/SCESSNA/JPTEST was
                                       started using the Submit Job
(SBMJOB) command with the following job
                                       attributes: JOBPTY(5) OUTPTY(5)
PRTTXT() RTGDTA(QCMDI) SYSLIBL(QSYS
                                       QSYS2      QHLPSYS    QUSRSYS)
CURLIB(ASCLIB) INLLIBL(SMTP       CGIBIN
                                       CGIDEV2    ASCLIB     QPDA QGPL
QGPTOOLS   QGY        WFLABXX
                                       SURVEY) LOG(4 00 *SECLVL)
LOGCLPGM(*YES) INQMSGRPY(*RQD) OUTQ(QGPL/QPRINT)
                                       PRTDEV(QPRINT) HOLD(*NO)
DATE(*SYSVAL) SWS(00000000) MSGQ(QUSRSYS/SCESSNA)
                                       CCSID(37) SRTSEQ(*N/*HEX)
LANGID(ENU) CNTRYID(US) JOBMSGQMX(64)
                                       JOBMSGQFL(*WRAP) ALWMLTTHD(*NO)
INLASPGRP(*NONE) SPLFACN(*KEEP).
*NONE      Request                      05/26/05  08:48:47.325584 QWTSCSBJ
                *N       QCMD        QSYS        0189
                                     Message . . . . :  -CALL
PGM(ASCLIB/JPTESTC2)
*NONE      Command                      05/26/05  08:48:47.365680  QCADRV
    QSYS        0393     JPTESTC2    ASCLIB      000D
                                     Message . . . . :      200 -
CHGCURDIR DIR('/')
CPCA08B    Completion              00   05/26/05  08:48:47.404544 QP0LCCHC
    QSYS        *STMT    JPTESTC2    ASCLIB      000D
                                     From module . . . . . . . . :
QP0LCCHC
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :
send_message__FPcT1iT3T1
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   14
                                     Message . . . . :   Current directory
changed.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   The current
directory was changed to /.
*NONE      Command                      05/26/05  08:48:47.404720  QCADRV
    QSYS        0393     JPTESTC2    ASCLIB      0011
                                     Message . . . . :      300 -
ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(CLASSPATH)
 VALUE('.:QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext/poi-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar')
                                       REPLACE(*YES)
CPCA980    Completion              00   05/26/05  08:48:47.486392 QP0ZADDE
    QSYS        *STMT    JPTESTC2    ASCLIB      0011
                                     From module . . . . . . . . :
QP0ZADDE
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :
sendMsg__FP9msgInfo_t
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   13
                                     Message . . . . :   Environment
variable added.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   Environment
variable 'CLASSPATH' has been added.
*NONE      Command                      05/26/05  08:48:47.486736 QCLCLCPR
    QSYS        0435     JPTESTC2    ASCLIB      0015
                                     Message . . . . :      600 - CALL
PGM(JPTEST2)
RNX0301    Escape                  50   05/26/05  08:48:49.171384  QRNXIE
    QSYS        *STMT    HSSFR4      ASCLIB      *STMT
                                     From module . . . . . . . . : QRNXMSG
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :
SignalException
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   21
                                     To module . . . . . . . . . : HSSFR4
                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . :
HSSF_OPEN
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . : 126400
                                     Message . . . . :   Java exception
received when calling Java method.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   RPG procedure
HSSF_OPEN in program ASCLIB/HSSFR4 received
                                       Java exception
"java.io.IOException:" when calling method "<init>" with
                                       signature
"(Ljava.io.InputStream;)V" in class
 "org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem". Recovery  . . . :
                                       Contact the person responsible for
program maintenance to determine the
                                       cause of the problem. Technical
description . . . . . . . . :   If the
                                       exception indicates that the Java
class was not found, ensure the class for
                                       the method is in the class path. If
the exception indicates that the Java
                                       method was not found, check the
method name and signature. If the signature
                                       is not correct, change the RPG
prototype for the method, or change the Java
                                       method, so that the return type and
parameter types match. You can determine
                                       the signatures for all the methods
in class XYZ using command QSH CMD('javap
                                       -s XYZ').
CEE9901    Escape                  30   05/26/05  08:48:49.172032  QLEAWI
    QSYS        *STMT    JPTEST2     ASCLIB      *STMT
                                     From module . . . . . . . . : QLEDEH
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :   Q LE
leDefaultEh
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   168
                                     To module . . . . . . . . . : JPTEST2
                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . : JPTEST2
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   5800
                                     Message . . . . :   Application
error.  RNX0301 unmonitored by HSSFR4 at
                                       statement 0000126400, instruction
X'0000'.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   The application
ended abnormally because an exception
                                       occurred and was not handled.  The
name of the program to which the
                                       unhandled exception is sent is
HSSFR4 HSSFR4 HSSF_OPEN. The program was
                                       stopped at the high-level language
statement number(s) 0000126400 at the
                                       time the message was sent.  If more
than one statement number is shown, the
                                       program is an optimized ILE
program.  Optimization does not allow a single
                                       statement number to be determined.
If *N is shown as a value, it means the
                                       real value was not available.
Recovery  . . . :   See the low level messages
                                       previously listed to locate the
cause of the exception.  Correct any errors,
                                       and then try the request again.
MCH3402    Escape                  40   05/26/05  08:48:50.151104  HSSFR4
    ASCLIB      *STMT    HSSFR4      ASCLIB      *STMT
                                     From module . . . . . . . . : HSSFR4
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :
HSSF_NEWSHEET
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   *N
                                     To module . . . . . . . . . : HSSFR4
                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . :
HSSF_NEWSHEET
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Tried to refer to
all or part of an object that no longer
                                       exists.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   The most common
cause is that a stored address to an
                                       object is no longer correct because
that object was deleted or part of the
                                       object was deleted.
RNQ0202    Sender copy             99   05/26/05  08:48:50.153168  QRNXIE
    QSYS        *STMT    QRNXIE      QSYS        *STMT
                                     From module . . . . . . . . : QRNXMSG
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . : InqMsg
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   3
                                     To module . . . . . . . . . : QRNXMSG
                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . : InqMsg
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   3
                                     Message . . . . :   The call to
HSSF_NEWSH ended in error (C G D F).
                                     Cause . . . . . :   RPG procedure
JPTEST2 in program ASCLIB/JPTEST2 at
                                       statement 006900 called program or
procedure HSSF_NEWSH, which ended in
                                       error. If the name is *N, the call
was a bound call by procedure pointer.
                                       Recovery  . . . :   Check the job
log for more information on the cause of
                                       the error and contact the person
responsible for program maintenance.
                                       Possible choices for replying to
message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   D
                                       -- Obtain RPG formatted dump. S --
Obtain system dump. G -- Continue
                                       processing at *GETIN. C -- Cancel.
F -- Obtain full formatted dump.
*NONE      Reply                        05/26/05  08:49:03.991824 QMHSCLVL
    QSYS        0683     QRNXIE      QSYS        *STMT
                                     To module . . . . . . . . . : QRNXMSG
                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . : InqMsg
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   5
                                     Message . . . . :   C
CEE9901    Escape                  30   05/26/05  08:49:03.992584  QLEAWI
    QSYS        *STMT    JPTESTC2    ASCLIB      0015
                                     From module . . . . . . . . : QLEDEH
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :   Q LE
leDefaultEh
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   168
                                     Message . . . . :   Application
error.  MCH3402 unmonitored by HSSFR4 at
                                       statement *N, instruction X'0000'.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   The application
ended abnormally because an exception
                                       occurred and was not handled.  The
name of the program to which the
                                       unhandled exception is sent is
HSSFR4 HSSFR4 HSSF_NEWSHEET. The program was
                                       stopped at the high-level language
statement number(s) *N at the time the
                                       message was sent.  If more than one
statement number is shown, the program
                                       is an optimized ILE program.
Optimization does not allow a single statement
                                       number to be determined.  If *N is
shown as a value, it means the real value
                                       was not available. Recovery  . . .
:   See the low level messages previously
                                       listed to locate the cause of the
exception.  Correct any errors, and then
                                       try the request again.
CPA0701    Sender copy             99   05/26/05  08:49:04.011800  QCLXERR
     QSYS        00DA     QCLXERR     QSYS        00DA
                                     Message . . . . :   CEE9901 received
by JPTESTC2 at 600. (C D I R)
                                     Cause . . . . . :   Control language
(CL) program JPTESTC2 in library ASCLIB
                                       detected an error at statement
number 600. Message text for CEE9901 is:
                                       Application error.  MCH3402
unmonitored by HSSFR4 at statement *N,
                                       instruction X'0000'. Recovery  . .
. :   This inquiry message can be avoided
                                       by changing the program. Monitor
for the error (MONMSG command) and perform
                                       error recovery within the program.
To continue, choose a reply value.
                                       Possible choices for replying to
message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   C
                                       -- Cancel the CL program. D -- Dump
the CL program variables and cancel the
                                       CL program. I -- Ignore the failing
command. R -- Try the failing command
                                       again.
*NONE      Reply                        05/26/05  08:49:08.548752 QMHSCLVL
    QSYS        0683     QCLXERR     QSYS        00E7
                                     Message . . . . :   C
CPF9999    Escape                  40   05/26/05  08:49:04.009064 QMHUNMSG
                *N       QCMD        QSYS        01B7
                                     Message . . . . :   Function check.
CEE9901 unmonitored by JPTESTC2 at
                                       statement 600, instruction X'0015'.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   An escape
exception message was sent to a program which
                                       did not monitor for that message.
The full name of the program to which the
                                       unmonitored message was sent is
JPTESTC2  . At the time the message was sent
                                       the program was stopped at higher
level language statement number(s) 600. If
                                       more than one statement number is
shown, the program was a bound program.
                                       Optimization does not allow a
single statement number to be determined. If
                                       *N is shown as a value, it means
the actual value was not available.
                                       Recovery  . . . :   See the low
level messages previously listed to locate
                                       the cause of the function check.
Correct any errors, and then try the
                                       request again.
CPC2402    Completion              50   05/26/05  08:49:08.549688  QCMD
QSYS        0605     *EXT                    *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Job ended. Cancel
message received at command processor.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   A message with a
severity equal to or exceeding the end
                                       severity was received at the
command processor. Recovery  . . . :   See the
                                       messages previously listed to
determine the message that caused the job to
                                       be ended. Correct the errors, and
then try the request again.
CPF1164    Completion              00   05/26/05  08:49:08.556568 QWTMCEOJ
    QSYS        00C9     *EXT                    *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Job
787777/SCESSNA/JPTEST ended on 05/26/05 at 08:49:08; 1
                                       seconds used; end code 20 .
                                     Cause . . . . . :   Job
787777/SCESSNA/JPTEST completed on 05/26/05 at
                                       08:49:08 after it used 1 seconds
processing unit time.  The job had ending
                                       code 20. The job ended after 1
routing steps with a secondary ending code of
                                       0.  The job ending codes and their
meanings are as follows:  0 - The job
                                       completed normally. 10 - The job
completed normally during controlled ending
                                       or controlled subsystem ending. 20
- The job exceeded end severity (ENDSEV
                                       job attribute). 30 - The job ended
abnormally. 40 - The job ended before
                                       becoming active. 50 - The job ended
while the job was active. 60 - The
                                       subsystem ended abnormally while
the job was active. 70 - The system ended
                                       abnormally while the job was
active. 80 - The job ended (ENDJOBABN command).
                                       90 - The job was forced to end
after the time limit ended (ENDJOBABN
                                       command). Recovery  . . . :   For
more information, see the Work Management
                                       topic in the Information Center,
 http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter.

Shane

What's the actual error? What does %status show? See anything in the job
log?

iSeriesNetwork.com...http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/noderesources/code/clubtechcode/ExcelCrtDemo.zip