Sounds like your printer doesn't understand Postscript or PDF.

I'd guess it is a cheap, low end printer.

You're going to need a PS to PCL converter.  You should be able to find one
easily on the net.  Look for an AIX binary or Java one which would allow you to
run it directly on the iSeries.

Might also find one that uses python or Perl.  But then you'd need to install
one of those on the iSeries.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America