Joe Pluta wrote:

From: Bruce Collins

I have a java program that connects to the iSeries via JDBC and

returns

output. If I want to put that into a JSP and present it via a web
browser what would be involved.

If you have examples that would be wonderful

Bruce, the JSP Model II way to do this is to put the data from the result set into a bean, and then expose the bean to the JSP page. The quick and dirty way is to simply expose the result set. I posted something on Ignite/400 a while back that compromises: it puts the result set in a bean.

The servlet reads a file called "DATAFILE" in library "DATA", with six
fields (name, address, phone, email, department and occupation) and then
spits out a report in a JSP.  It also does some timings.

I'll repost it here:

THE SERVLET:
------------
package com.pbd.datatest;

import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;
import java.util.Date;

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class DataServlet extends HttpServlet implements Servlet {

public class Data
{
public Connection conn;
public Statement s;
public ResultSet rs;
public java.util.Date start;
public java.util.Date read;
public void close() throws Exception
{
rs.close();
s.close();
conn.close();
}
public long getReadTime()
{
return read.getTime() - start.getTime();
}
public long getTotalTime()
{
return new java.util.Date().getTime() - start.getTime();
public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
throws ServletException, IOException {
try {
Data data = new Data();
data.start = new Date();
Class.forName("com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver").
newInstance(); if (System.getProperty("os.name").equals("OS/400"))
data.conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:as400://localhost", "USER", "PWD");
else
data.conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:as400://host", "USER", "PWD");
data.s = data.conn.createStatement();
data.rs = data.s.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM
DATA.DATAFILE");
data.read = new Date();
HttpSession hs = req.getSession(true);
hs.setAttribute("data", data);
getServletContext().
getRequestDispatcher("/app/showdata.jsp").
forward(req, resp);
} catch (Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();
throw new ServletException(e);

  public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
     throws ServletException, IOException {
     doGet(req, resp);

THE JSP:
--------
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <HTML>
<HEAD> <TITLE>showdata.jsp</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <jsp:useBean
class="com.pbd.datatest.DataServlet.Data"
id="data" scope="session"></jsp:useBean>
<th>Name</th>
<th>Address</th>
<th>Phone</th>
<th>e-mail</th>
<th>Department</th>
<th>Occupation</th>
<% }
data.close();
%>
Read time: <%= data.getReadTime() %> ms<br>
Total time: <%= data.getTotalTime() %> ms<br>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Nothing to it.

Joe

Thanks, what is the relationship of the servlet to the JSP Page. Where would you put the servlet and the JSP. Do you need to be running Websphere and if so then what version?

Sorry Joe about all the questions bug I am an old RPG Programmer trying to change my ways.<VBG>

Thanks

--

Bruce "Hoss" Collins