From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Aaron Bartell
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 10:17 AM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: Re: Looking for Good Java & XML for RPG Info

If you are experienced in Java programming don't even consider using RPG
to parse or compose your xml (although it is very easy to compose with
CGIDEV2).  There are a plethora of tools out there that in Java for
doing XML, Web Services, etc. Parse all of your xml with Java and make
calls to your RPG programs using either PCML (very limiting) or SQL
stored procedures.

For a recent project I used Apache Axis to send a SOAP web service
request to a .NET web service and it took me only a couple hours to
download the tool from jakarta.apache.org and generate my Java classes
based on the WSDL the .NET programmer provided to me. This same task in
RPG would have taken much longer being that there are no SOAP processors
available in the RPG realm (at least until Scott Klement writes an
interface to one :-)

With that said here is my site where I wrote an interface to IBM"s XML
parser. http://mowyourlawn.com/  Scott Klement has also put together an
interface to the expat parser which can be found on his site:
http://scottklement.com

Just note that if you go the route of RPG to do your XML processing you
will always be about 2 to 3 years behind in technology until someone
ports the technology to RPG.

Those are my thoughts on the matter :-)
Aaron Bartell