java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/16/2005 10:26:57 AM:

> Is anybody aware of a thread limit within OS/400, specifically V5R3?

Um, well, there probably is a limit, but it's "large."  How many threads
are we talking about here?  I know the iSeries implementation of Java
readily supports thousands of threads at a time...

> We are getting some messages to the effect of:
>
> "Warning: The minimum threads exceed the global thread limit,
> meaning that the global limit will be exceeded."

I can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt that this message is coming out
of the JVM layer.  I'm guessing that jetty has some thread limits that it
tries to impose itself.

> Later we have some application problems and see messages to the
> effect of a thread not being available:
>
> "WARN!! No thread for com.myco.services.pshttp.jetty.
> ConduitStreamListener$1@ac0be11d"

Ewww, that looks kinda like a 4-byte address tag out there at the end of
that callout (@ac0be11d).  Is that message from an iSeries?

> Not sure yet exactly where these messages originate, that is, Jetty,
> IBM, etc, what layer of code.
>
> I have considered the activity level of the subsystem, but it is
> already set quite high and we are not seeing any transitions  to the
> ineligible state, so I am at a loss for where a "thread limit" is
> being imposed. I have perused the sysvals, but don't see anything there.

MAXACTLVL is the relevant gating parameter, I think.  Never hoid of that
'global thread limit' thang.

> I have not encountered this "global thread limit" before and would
> greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Marty

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

  ___   _           Blair Wyman                  IBM Rochester
 ( /_)  /  _  ' _   (507)253-2891            blairw@xxxxxxxxxx
__/__)_/_<_/_/_/_'  Opinions expressed may not be those of IBM