That depends on what you mean by setting up the classpath though. If you
mean setting up the system level classpath (WRKENVVAR LEVEL(*SYS)) then
there isn't much of a difference.

The thing you need to be careful about when doing it though, is anything
you put in the ext directory will be added to the classpath. So, it is a
good idea to know exactly what packages are in what jar files. You can
run into interesting problems with things like XML API's that use and
include different versions of XML parsers in the jar with the API. I
have also seen it cause problems with WebSphere when a
newer/older/different version of Xerces was put in the ext directory.
However, your mileage may very.

There is a difference between web-inf/lib and the /jre/lib/ext
directory. The jars in web-inf/lib are only used by the application(s)
in your app server, the jars in the /jre/lib/ext directory are used
system wide, by anything and everything.

I don't believe that subfolders of /jre/lib/ext are searched
automatically.

Hopefully, if I am completely off my rocker on any of this, someone will
correct me.

Dan Feather