In that case, I thought maybe you'd want to short circuit some
experimentation by buying the source to one of these utility type products
and then learning from how they did it.

As you probably know, secure FTP can operate in two modes.  In secure mode
(listened to on the port specified in the service table by service name
ftps-control), your client operates just like it does in non-secure mode
except that it communicates via SSL.  Optionally, the FTP server can require
client authentication via a client-side certificate.  But, if there is no
client authentication, it operates just like regular FTP except it uses an
SSLSocket instead of a regular Socket.

In non-secure mode (listened to on the port specified in the service table
by service name ftp-control), you start out with a regular connection and
then negotiate a secure connection according to RFC 2228.

If you want your product to use a secure FTP connection in secure mode
without client authentication, you'll require minimal changes.  Does your
product run on the 400 or on other platforms as well?  What exactly are you
having problems with?  I think I can help.

Gary