Joe,

sorry for my bad english,

I agree with you,
but I think that the iseries is not the "right" platform to DEVELEOP java applications,
there are several tools available to the developers, like eclipse, that allow to solve or direclty warn of such problems.
And the JT/400 open source allow to run any java application from any another platform.
Like:
- code and verify
- build
- test
- run
etc.

Just my opinion.

*happy new year on all on the list*

Joe Sam Shirah wrote:

   Hi Franco and Michael,

   Personally, it's very understandable to me that AS/400 programmers
might generally expect more understanding and assistance from others
who have gone through the same process than on other lists.

   At the same time, I also understand that some subscribers want the list
honed in on AS/400-specific Java discussion.  For the rest of us,
responding mails that say "ask somewhere else" or "don't do that" often
just add to the noise.

   I moderate one of several forums ( the Java Filter, which is a catch all
for questions that don't seem to fit other forums ) at IBM's developerWorks
Java zone.  These forums focus on standard Java issues ( much more so than
any IBM specific issues ) and all questions are welcome.  If anyone has
questions that they feel may not be appropriate for this list, feel free to
go there.  I have a long background in the midrange, so I generally know
where you are coming from.

   To access the forums, go to

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/

   Near the bottom of the page, under "Community", click on "All Java
technology forums" for a list of available forums.

   I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season.  Now back to the
regularly scheduled program.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Franco Biaggi" <fbiaggi@xxxxxxxxxx> To: "Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400" <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 3:26 PM Subject: Re: Class Declaration

Your t variable is vailable only in your Main method.

...Again this should not be a java beginner coding forum...

michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Ok...I'm confused...

In RPG, I declare all my prototypes in my D specs. I'd like to do the
same thing with Java. So I have some code that looks like this:

public class MakeXLS {
   public static void main (String[] args)
{
MakeXLS t = new MakeXLS();
t.readCSVFile();
t.fillXLS();
But now I want to use fillXLS() inside of readCSVFile(). Why can't I
just have the line t.fillXLS() inside of readCSVFile()? Is it because
variable t is not global? I get this error instead:

javac -classpath /OpenSource/jexcelapi/jxl.jar MakeXLS.java
MakeXLS.java:58: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable t
location: class MakeXLS
      t.fillXLS();
      ^
1 error
$

TIA...

Franco Biaggi
CH-6807 Taverne

*** This messages was scanned for malicious contents ***
Franco Biaggi
CH-6807 Taverne