From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 1:33 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Java Error. HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

This class has several errors. First, you "hide" all your fields by
declaring them as local (when you say "ResultSet rs" you are declaring a
NEW field named "rs", not using your instance field "rs", for example).
When you try to get your rs.next(), rs is empty (null). Learn how to use
Checkstyle or some of the good tools out there to verify your code, you
will love 'em.

Try your hand at Java with simpler tasks first. XML and JDBC are
somewhat tricky and may distract you from the language. Forums could
help, but you have to walk before you run.

Hope this helps,

Sergio

> [...]
>> subject: Java Error. HELP NEEDED URGENTLY
>>

>>      Folks,
>>
>>      This is the copy of the source that I ran on AS400.
>>
>>      One thing I know for sure is that it gives error on the
highlighted
>> statement below....
>>
>>      import java.io.*;
>>      import java.sql.*;
>>      import java.text.*;
>>      import java.util.*;
>>
>>      import org.jdom.output.*;
>>      import org.jdom.input.*;
>>      import org.jdom.*;
>>      import org.jdom.transform.*;
>>      import org.jdom.contrib.input.*;
>>      import com.ibm.as400.access.*;
>>
>>      public class createFsaxml
>>      {
>>      Element elcct = null;
>>      Element elpt = null;
>>      ResultSet rs = null;
>>      Document doc = null;
>>      PrintWriter pw = null;
>>      Element rootelem = null;
>>

>>      public createFsaxml() throws Exception{
>>

>>      try{
>>      // register driver
>>
>>      DriverManager.registerDriver(new
>> com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver());
>>
>>      Connection c =
>> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:as400://mldev400/SPANAND");
>>
>>      System.out.println("Got connection.. processing");
>>
>>      Statement stmt = c.createStatement();
>>
>>      ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("Select * from GMISFAF1");
>>
>>      System.out.println("Got Query results");
>>      System.out.println("Trying to create XML file");
>>
>>      createxml();
>>
>>      c.close();
>>           } catch(SQLException e){
>>              System.out.println(e);
>>                                   }
>>      }
>>

>>      public void createxml() throws Exception{
>>
>>      int cntr = 0;
>>
>>      Document doc = new Document();
>>
>>      Element rootelem = new Element("FSArootElement");
>>
>>      doc.setRootElement(rootelem);
>>

>>      try{
>>
>>      PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(new BufferedWriter(new
>> FileWriter("/java/demo/fsa.xml")));
>>
>>      while (rs.next()){
>>      Element elcct = new Element("CurrencyCodeType");
>>      elcct.addContent(rs.getString(12).trim());
>> //
>>      Element elpt = new Element("PriceType");
>>      elpt.addContent(rs.getString(13).trim());
>>      cntr++;
>> //
>>                       }
>> //
>>      rootelem.addContent(elcct);
>>      rootelem.addContent(elpt);
>> //
>>
>>      XMLOutputter outputter = new XMLOutputter();
>>      outputter.output(rootelem, pw);
>>      pw.flush();
>>      pw.close();
>>      }catch(IOException e){
>>              System.out.println(e);
>>                              }
>>      catch(SQLException e){
>>              System.out.println(e);
>>      }
>>      System.out.println("total no of records: " +
String.valueOf(cntr));

>> }
>>

>>      //public ValidateDoc(File f){
>>
>>      //private String f;
>>
>>      //try{
>>
>>      //    }
>>      //}
>>
>>      public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception{
>>
>> //   String sfile = args[0];
>>
>> //   String spath = args[1];
>>
>>      if (args.length != 2){
>>
>> // report errors
>>
>>      System.out.println("Error! ");
>>      System.out.println("Pls enter location of the schema");
>>      return;
>>      }
>>      createFsaxml cxml = new createFsaxml();
>>
>> //Validate val = new ValidateDoc(File cxml);
>>
>> //   System.exit(1);
>>
>> }
>> }
>>
>>      The Error is....
>>
>>      java.lang.NullPointerException
>>
>>      Thanks for your help in advance.
>>
>>      regards,
>>

>> Rajesh Anand
>> Email:Rajesh_anand@xxxxxx
>>
>> If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
>> the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose,
>> copy, retain or redistribute it. Click here
>> for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.
http://www.ml.com/email_terms/

End of JAVA400-L Digest, Vol 2, Issue 406