On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:58:55 -0000, Anand, Rajesh <Rajesh_Anand@xxxxxx> wrote:

>         Folks,
>
>         This is the copy of the source that I ran on AS400.
>
>         One thing I know for sure is that it gives error on the
> highlighted statement below....
>
>         import java.io.*;
>         import java.sql.*;
>         import java.text.*;
>         import java.util.*;
>
>         import org.jdom.output.*;
>         import org.jdom.input.*;
>         import org.jdom.*;
>         import org.jdom.transform.*;
>         import org.jdom.contrib.input.*;
>         import com.ibm.as400.access.*;
>
>         public class createFsaxml
>         {
>         Element elcct = null;
>         Element elpt = null;
>         ResultSet rs = null;
>         Document doc = null;
>         PrintWriter pw = null;
>         Element rootelem = null;
>
>         public createFsaxml() throws Exception{
>
>         try{
>         // register driver
>
>         DriverManager.registerDriver(new
> com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver());
>
>         Connection c =
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:as400://mldev400/SPANAND");
>
>         System.out.println("Got connection.. processing");
>
>         Statement stmt = c.createStatement();
>
>         ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("Select * from GMISFAF1");
>
>         System.out.println("Got Query results");
>         System.out.println("Trying to create XML file");
>
>         createxml();
>
>         c.close();
>              } catch(SQLException e){
>                 System.out.println(e);
>                                      }
>         }
>
>         public void createxml() throws Exception{
>
>         int cntr = 0;
>
>         Document doc = new Document();
>
>         Element rootelem = new Element("FSArootElement");
>
>         doc.setRootElement(rootelem);
>
>         try{
>
>         PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(new BufferedWriter(new
> FileWriter("/java/demo/fsa.xml")));
>
>         while (rs.next()){

I dont see any highlighted statement, but ill give it a shot...

in this last line of code, you are attempting to access the member
variable 'rs' which has not yet been initialized. In the
createFsaxml() method you create and instantiate a new ResultSet
object with the name rs, but it its local to that method.

Hth,
Carl.