That is very strange.  I just ran this test successfully (via STRSQL,
which should give the same results as JDBC):

 CREATE TABLE QTEMP/IT005P (ITEM_NUMBER DECIMAL (7 , 0) NOT NULL WITH
DEFAULT)
 Table IT005P created in QTEMP.

 INSERT INTO IT005P (ITEM_NUMBER) VALUES(47001)
 1 rows inserted in IT005P in QTEMP.

DSPFFD QTEMP/IT005P shows:

           Data        Field  Buffer    Buffer        Field    Column
Field      Type       Length  Length  Position        Usage    Heading
ITEM_00001 PACKED       7  0       4         1        Both     ITEM_NUMBER
  Alternative name  . . . . . . . . . . . . :
      ITEM_NUMBER

When you do DSPFFD on your file, are the field attributes the same as my
test?

===
Marshall Dunbar
DPS, Inc.