From: "David Morris" <David.Morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: Declaring Java classes and methods

> Colin,
>
> Be aware that custom class loaders are generally not expected
> particularly in container-managed environments. You can run into all
> kinds of difficult to debug situations when you load the same class from
> multiple class loaders. It may work for you but I wouldn't use a
> customer class loader to save typing on my classpath. Some reasons to
> use a custom class loader are that you have something in your classes
> you don't want anyone to find out about or you want to be able to reload
> a class at will. A safe but effective alternative to add all Jars in a
> directory is a shell script using something like:
>
> #! /bin/qsh
>
> cd $(dirname $0)
>
> CLASSPATH=.
> for i in lib/*.jar; do
>   CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:$i
> done
>
> echo CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}
> export -s CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}
>
> java com.MyApp...
>
> --David Morris

> Joe,
>
> if you need to write a custom classloader, there are some articles on
> the
> IBM developerworks site that discuss this(assuming you havent done
> this
> before!).
>
> I recently knocked up a custom classloader so that i could setup my
> classpath dynamically, rather than setting using the RUNJVA command.
>
> I had an application that used a component dependent on a lot of open
> source
> JARS, and I didnt want to type them all in to the classpath one by
> one.
> So I created custom classloader that I could point at a directory, and
> it
> would add all the jars to the classpath.
>
> cheers
> Colin.W
> --
> This is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400 (JAVA400-L)

This e-mail has been sent by a company of Bertram Group Ltd, whose registered
office is 1 Broadland Business Park, Norwich, NR7 0WF.
This message, and any attachments, are intended solely for the addressee and
may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you are not the
If you believe that you have received this email in error, please contact the
sender immediately. Opinions, conclusions and statements of intent in this
e-mail are those of the sender and will not bind a Bertram Group Ltd company
unless confirmed in writing by a director independently of this message.
Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are
free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the
recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.