Joe Pluta wrote:
> Okay, it looks like I'll do this using a character value.  However, I'd
> still like to figure out how to pass a data structure with no
> conversion.  More importantly, I'd like to pass that structure in,
> modify it, and return it.

Joe, RPG maps the following types to byte[]:
 - nA, n > 1, with or without VARYING
 - date
 - time
 - timestamp
 - 3i 0 DIM(n)
All except 3u 0 undergo ascii<-->ebcdic conversion.  If you want to
avoid having RPG do the conversion, use a 3i 0 array as the parameter.
Then you'll have to handle the to/from ascii conversion for any
character subfields yourself.

You could use a based DS to overlay the array parameter, or you could
copy the array parameter to/from a 3i 0 array in your DS.

d ds        ds             based(p)
d   subfields
d method    pr
d   parm            3i 0   dim(%size(ds))

      eval p = %addr(parm)