Hi
I have developed a Applet which basically displays
data fromm AS400 in graph, pie, chart, or gant bar,
also the user can click on applet and change values.
I have basically used Applet-Servlet communication.
This can be done rather easily and is roboust,
also since the communication is over HTTP/HTTPS can be
made secure,
I am using websphere as application server, and JT400
classes to access data via stored procedures and call
AS400 RPGLE programs,

You can also explore the use of Java webstart, it also
looks promising
http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/

Ashish

--- Mark Phippard <MarkP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/27/2004
> 12:39:31 PM:
>

> > However, I am very interested in the concept of
> having the Swing applet
> > talk to the HTTP server rather than directly to
> the database this
> > certainly would resolve some possible firewall
> issues that we have
> > anticipated (we currently were planning to require
> VPN access to the
> > server).  If you have any more info on this it
> would be appreciated!!!
> >

> You could probably craft your own solution fairly
> easily, but the way to
> do this today using tooling is probably web
> services.  Expose your servers
> as web services and then consume those web services
> from the Java GUI.
> This also opens up a lot of other long term
> possibilities as there are
> some nice tools out there for gluing together web
> services to build
> business processes.
>
> By the way, signing your applet is a security
> mechanism for the client
> side.  My concern was that for the clients to be
> able to use JDBC and
> Program Calls those ports on your server have to be
> accessible.  If this
> were a pure Internet app, that would mean they would
> have to be open in
> your firewall.  This would make your server
> vulnerable to attack and would
> be hard to secure and still have your application
> function properly.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> This is the Java Programming on and around the
> archives

=====
A$HI$H