Hi,

i am evaluating printing from java to an LPR printer virtually attached to an iSeries. With Java 1.4, Sun introduced the "Java Print Service" and IBM implemented it, as we can see here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzaha/jvprtsrv.htm

Unfortunately it is stated:

"An iSeries print service represents a printer device that is configured on the iSeries with the OS/400 command Create Device Description (Printer) (CRTDEVPRT)."

This means, the normal way of just creating a RMTOUTQ to a LPR printer is not enough, because a RMTOUTQ is not a device in a java sense. Perhaps you can directly write to an OUTQ with JTOpen, but i dont want to code against a platform java API, because this program should also run on other platforms. I read at IBM site that you can create a DUMMY DEVICE for a LPR Remote OUTQ with some risks upon system recovery but basically it should work.

Has anyone get through this? I have a lot of documentation about all this (from IBM and the printer manufacturer) but it would be nice to know if there are some experiences. It would surprise me, i guess only the guys at the iSeries Java team tested this, perhaps they tested only a normal physically attached printer with Java Print Server, we will see...

--

regards
Marc Logemann

--
"Programming is like Sex, one mistake and you support it for a lifetime"