There are free hosting services out there that you can make use of and
there are also paid servers like netshare400 that you can get onto for a
fair fee.

Check out this page for references:
http://www.as400pro.com/resourcesiSTimeShar.htm

I think the real problem is the mindset of RPG/Cobol programmers vs.
most other programming languages programmers.  This isn't a slam on RPG
developers, but it is truth that they are very slow to adopt anything
new (in my experience) - just look at how many have adopted all the
things in V5R1!!.  They don't go home and twiddle on their computer
every night like most Java, PHP, .NET developers will.  Sure there is a
segment that puts out some pretty cool free RPG code, but guess what?  I
can guarantee you that they have most likely many programming languages
under their belt and RPG was just another requirement of their business
that they picked up along the way.

Most RPG programmers are full of excuses for not submitting to the
community, IMO.  Some just choose to be consumers and that is fine also,
but when I hear that they don't do it because they don't have access to
an iSeries during off hours I know that they aren't really serious about
open source because everything you need to do open source RPG is out
there and it is free - you just need to visit your local google.com;-)

Please no flames for my previous statement.  I don't think anyone on the
midrange lists are idle RPG programmers because they are obviously
interested in learning and asking questions, I am just saying that the
percentage of willing RPG pgmrs vs. most other languages varies greatly.

My .02
Aaron Bartell