From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 5:28 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Java and RPG in the future of the iSeries

People sometimes express surprise that this list doesn't always praise
Java as the perfect solution for everything.  There seems to be a
certain animosity that arises whenever I or anyone suggests RPG as a
viable choice for... well, for just about anything.  And while this list
does center on Java, it's reason for being is to support iSeries
developers, and that means how Java works on and with the iSeries.

Because I want to be clear that RPG is and continues to be a fundamental
part of IBM's iSeries strategy.  The rumors of RPG's demise have been
greatly exaggerated.  I just got off the phone today with Kelly
Schmotzer, and she was adamant (I mean, almost to the point of getting
angry!) that RPG is the key strength of the iSeries.  She also was clear
to me that IBM's "road map" is not a path that they expect or even want
everyone to follow; instead, it's a view of the broad spectrum of
options available.

Anybody who thinks that IBM is suggesting that RPG is going to go away
or that Java is IBM's direction for the iSeries, now is a good time to
let me know why you think that.  I'll then see about getting you answers
from the appropriate people at IBM.  I'm currently tracking down someone
to get some more definitive answers on the "road map", but if you have
other issues please bring them to me and I'll see if I can't get some
answers.

Joe

--
This is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400