Joe,

My first option would be a package supporting php4/mySQL on Apache.

All suggestions below are php/mySQL related.

OPEN SOURCE
Me, I would simply setup phpBB and be done with it.
However, no uploads out of the box. Could always opt to create a
contribution for upload support.
http://www.phpbb.com/    <--os, quick set-up, various templates, documented.

New player, dont know much about it, has been compared against vBulletin.
http://webtrickscentral.com/forums/index.php

COMMERCIAL PACKAGES
The available features namely the sys admin section might make a good
skeleton package, for a small price.
However, I never installed these but have used many times over on various
forums. They seem to be the most popular and have set somewhat of a
benchmark for others.

vBulletin allows uploads called attachments. They can be of various types
such as .doc, .txt, .zip, .jpg, pdf....
The attachments are attached to the user message, its unclear if a specific
area can be designated for uploads.
Includes a nice feature, a complete 'printable version'  of a selected
forums category. Some say its easier to mod than phpBB.
  http://www.vbulletin.com/  <-- $85 - $160

Invision
  http://www.invisionboard.com/  <---$60-$150

In my opinion selecting a bb boils down to avaliable options found in the
conf management section i.e. what you
can do and cant do. In addition, if the long term goal is to manage the
source for custom mods then the structure of the code may be important.

joeM

intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
The message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving,
copying, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by
reply email and delete all copies.