> From: Simon Coulter
>
> ALL business applications should be using journalling for forward
> recovery and any application that has transactions that affect more
> than one file should be using commitment control. No excuses!

This is the type of bollix I'd really like to keep off this list.

Having journaling and commitment control may indeed be more reliable
than not having them.  However, there is a price to pay in terms of disk
space and performance.  That price is essentially the cost you pay for
insurance against hard disk crashes.

Now, if you have (please, folks, this is an extreme example done ONLY
for illustrative purposes) a system where no data changes and your
system rarely if ever crashes, then commitment control would be a VERY
non-cost-effective situation.  On the other hand, if you ran millions of
transactions a day through a box that went casters up every 36 hours,
then I'd suggest that commitment control is probably a good thing.

So, once again, this is NOT a philosophical issue, it's a business
decision.  Does it make sense to spend the money on commitment control?
How often does your machine have a hard crash?

Joe