> From: Raikov, Leonid
>
> But if you're a true retail shop, some of the transactions will fail
> from time to time. Why? Because in the ever changing SW environment
> things are bound to go wrong.

>They may fail, but they won't halt the system or corrupt the database,
unless you have really bad programs.  And if you're using commitment
control to filter programming errors, you're playing with fire, because
the vast majority of errors don't cause halts, they cause loss of
database integrity.

It may well be that my experience has so far been limited to systems
with really bad design, but all of the non-CC systems I have seen (and I
have seen quite a few) suffered from database corruption that was due to
SW errors in some shape or form. Usually, database corruption is
manually fixed - after a certain batch process fails. And when it comes
to that it's no fun.

>Which question?  Do most iSeries shops not use commitment control?  I
can only offer my opinion, since I don't have statistics.  The last time
I checked, most iSeries shops do not use commitment control - and
frankly, most iSeries shops don't need it.

Ah, now you have! I cannot pretend I know as many iSeries shops as you
do, but those I've come accross do suffer from the lack of CC. The thing
is, they don't know better.

Lo