On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 13:26, CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Namespaces aren't that big a deal when you mostly roll your own.  However,
> it seems that RPG is slowly catching up to the rest of the world in terms of
> third party provided libraries.  Thus namespaces will become evermore
> important.  Aaron's example is sensible way of doing things.  But what do I
> do when I've bought two third party libraries both of whom have a RPGIVTOOLS
> module or a DATES module or maybe XMLSAX?
>
> Take a look at history, I'm pretty sure C++ didn't support namespaces
> originally but they had to be added as the us of third party libraries
> increased.
>
> Finally I seem to recall reading a report of someone who has already run
> into this problem with RPG lack of support for namespaces.
>

> Charles

It may have been me... the namespaces issue is one of the main reasons I
started "Dual Prototyping" the procedures in my xRPG Core Library.  Most
toolsets like mine have a "charToNum()" procedure, and strangely enough
most of them are named the same!  I don't know if we need namespaces or
not, but I have said many times that I would like to see fully qualified
procedure names: SRVPGM.PROCNAME()...  I think this could help.

Since this is more of an RPG topic, I won't go into any of the details.
You can read about my dual prototyping here:

http://www.midrangeserver.com/fhg/fhg051204-story03.html

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com