From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 3:48 PM
To: 'Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400'
Subject: RE: Websphere authenticating to a remote as/400 and Envoy

> From: Todd Bryant
>
> I see. So, just so I completely clear, they are not authenticating
against
> 400 profiles, they are using bsd user accounts, in the case of the one
> running FreeBSD? That makes sense. I was wondering how one would get
past
> this limitation.

That's exactly correct, Todd.  They use a standard authentication list
in FreeBSD.  They then use the PSC/400 security exit program to convert
that user ID into an iSeries user profile (the exit program also lets
you check things like remote IP address).  This allows them to use long
names and passwords without messing with their iSeries settings, and
also to avoid having iSeries profiles and passwords out in the wild.

As Mr. Morris points out, in the realm of single signon, which is
currently a hot-and-getting-hotter topic, the de jure standard right now
is Kerberos.

Joe