Marc,

I don't know for sure why you had to make this change but I would guess
that the reliance on XML Schemas had something to do with it. Do you
have XercesImpl and xml-apis in your common/endorsed directory? I have
also had problems with qShell interpreting if [ -z "JAVA_HOME" ] (or
other properties) so you have to be careful. In either case, you don't
have to modify the startup scripts. Instead you could set the property
in JAVA_OPTS or use the SystemDefault.properties file.

David Morris

>>> spam1@xxxxxxxxxxxx 4/14/2004 1:16:00 PM >>>
Hi,

I regulary installed Tomcat 4.x versions on iSeries manually by
downloading releases from jakarta
and compiled the jars manually. Everything fine so far. Today i
installed Tomcat 5.0.19 and
pointed JAVA_HOME to the jdk 1.4 on the iSeries
(/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk14)

I got strange errors like TLDs which couldnt be loaded from inside JAR
files and
missing methods from the core library at usercode level. This lead me
to the
assumption that even with the JAVA_HOME var specified, Tomcat tried to

compile the JSPs with 1.3 and also used the 1.3 class library. Then i
modified
the catalina.sh shell script and added -Djava.version=1.4 to the Start
command
of catalina. Everything worked from now on. But after all this is
somewhat strange to
me. Anyone with similar experiences? Cant be normal that you have to
edit the startup
script to get it running.

This might be a question for the tomcat maillist but i think its also
iSeries related, never had
problems with Tomcat 5.x on a windows machine, whatever JDK i am
using.

Marc Logemann
Logentis e.K.
iSeries related articles at: