From: Price, Chris [mailto:chris_price@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 6:42 AM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: weblogic plugin on iSeries?

All,

I'm investigating putting a load-balancing web server in front of a
Weblogic
Server cluster.

I was planning to use Apache HTTP with the weblogic plugin for this.

I had hoped to be able to use the HTTP Server on the iSeries for this
(something more reliable than a Wintel box, and besides, if the database
is
down, who cares if you can't access the cluster...)

But digging around in the documentation for mod_so it states that:
"The mod_so module provides for loading of executable code and modules
into
the server at startup or restart time. On the iSeries server, the loaded
code comes from a service program object with a .SRVPGM extension. "
ref :
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/rzaie/rzaiemod_so
.htm

I assume that this means that IBM have re-written mod_so to use native
os/400 objects, rather than apache .so objects like the weblogic plugin,
mod_wl_20.so.

Does anyone know of anyway round this problem, or should I just give up
now?

Or does anyone have any better suggestions for load balancing (with a
budget
of $0 of course)...

Thanks,
Chris.

=======DISCLAIMER=======
This email transmission and any attachments may contain confidential
information which is legally privileged.  You are also notified that the
contents of this email and any which you may send in reply, may be
viewed by
authorised personnel on behalf of NSB Retail Systems Plc or its
subsidiaries
(the Company) in accordance with the Company's Information Access
Policy.
The content of this email is always subject to contract.  The
information is
intended only for the individual or entities to whom it is addressed.
If
you are not an intended recipient please contact me immediately and you
are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, storage on
any
medium or use of the information contained in this transmission is
strictly
prohibited.