Joe,

english is not my native language and I did never intend to offend you.

You have your experiences and other people might have others. Reading some of
your postings the whole world does application development the wrong way,
only who uses RPG wherever possible is a good guy. But most applications are
written in diffrent languages and not in RPG and the as400 installations are
getting less, the only growing market in information technology is Linux and
Java.

I'm oriented on the mainstream of application development and this is java, it
could not be totallly wrong and shure it is not totally right. In my opinion
the as400 is a very good database server and its one chance to survive for
this platform as a database server for java applications.

One of the points for writing java applications is the existence of quite a
lot of opensource components making it easy and eficcient to write business
applications in java. If I have a look to rpg applications, the wheel is
reinvented over and over, thousends of subfile programms doing all the same
stuff. In a well designed Java app, you have STRUTS for example, and some
JSPs doing all this, you have a persistence layer done by OJB for instance,
with or without Entity Beans.

The power and flexibility of java is by far better, than rpg. Refelection is a
very powerfull mechanism, allowing to describe complete classes in XML for
instance and assemblled at runtime; you can hav a closer look to this
technology in the STRUTS Framework, its Open Source.

Components in RPG are typically at the bottom of the hierarchie its very
difficult to write rpg components for reuse at the top of the hierarchie (one
reason for thousands of subfile programms). The main mechanism java provides
for this is inheritence and proper use of interfaces.

regards

Dieter

On Mittwoch, 10. März 2004 21:16, Joe Pluta wrote:
> > From: Dieter Bender
>
> What a fine, condescending email!
>
> > ever heared of Reflection???
>
> Reflection only tells you information about a class, not about the state
> of your system.
>
> > ever heared of inheritence???
>
> With library lists, two jobs can execute the same workflow and get
> different results.  In order to do this with inheritance, it either
> requires two JVMs with different classpaths or a sophisticated Factory
> mechanism.  In neither case is inheritance the issue.
>
> > ever heared of market share from as400???
>
> For a software vendor trying to maximize profits, platform independence
> is perhaps reasonable.  However, this provides zero benefit for the end
> user and in fact reduces their productivity for the sake of your
> profits.
>

> Joe

mfG

Dieter Bender