Dieter & Ivan,

The original servlet specification has some serious well recognized
flaws so best practices are generally workarounds. First you have to
decide what authentication is appropriate for your application and
decide where your Servlet container will run. You have basic, digest,
and form based authentication along with several hybrid and homegrown
options. You have more option when running natively on the iSeries
because you can use native authority without passing around passwords.
You do have to consider connection pooling, which will be limited to 1
pool per user.

One big problem with normal Servlet security is that you are not
challenged until you request a secure resource. There is a way around
this using a proxied page that I would consider best practices at this
time if you really plan on using container managed security. You can
find an article in Java Developers Journal from about last November (I
don't have that magazine here at work) that describes that technique. If
you do not, I would look at using a servlet filter like
http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/. The trouble with that
approach is it won't work well with cached pages and doesn't play at all
with J2EE.

David Morris

>>> dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx 2/27/2004 10:25:58 AM >>>
Hi,

doing authentication by connect to database is not really scalable.
Creating
an as400 object to authenticate is even worse. Don't do such things.
Have a
look at java best practices or recent style guidelines.

Dieter Bender