> From: McIntyre Don
>
> Too bad though the proxy server can't reside and
> operate on the iSeries instead of a PC.  This forces
> us to have to rely on at least 2 PC's, the Proxy
> server PC & the PC where the data resides.

Or you can put the proxy server on the PC that has the database.

> This is where I wish IBM would place some of their
> effort.

Once I understood how it works, I realized it really isn't IBM's job.
It's the job of the database vendor to either provide a Type 4 driver
(pure Java) or else provide an ODBC service program for OS/400 which we
could then use as part of a Type 1 JDBC/ODBC bridge.  The latter isn't
likely to happen anytime soon, so unless database vendors start creating
and giving away Type 4 drivers, my project is the best you're going to
get.

(Type 3 and especially Type 2 drivers are much less prevalent than Type
4 drivers, especially free versions.)

I can't see IBM basically reverse engineering each Windows ODBC driver
for each database vendor.  They'd be stuck in a never ending cycle of
modifications.  On the other hand, there are LOTS of commercial Type 4
drivers, so if that's what you really need, all you gotta do is pony up
the cash.

Joe