From: Frances Stewart [mailto:francess@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 November 2003 18:19
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: Re: Bytecode cache & WAS5.0

You can do a DSPJVAPGM on the cache (though it may not work if the file
is
very  large), which should show that JVAPGMs are being created, and
think
the timestamp would change as well.

Frances Stewart
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries
    External web site: http://www.iseries.ibm.com/websphere
    Team web site: http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~was
E-mail: francess@xxxxxxxxxx
Tie-line: 553-2795, External: 507 253-2795
IBM Rochester

                      "Mark Phippard"

                      <MarkP@softlanding.        To:       Java
Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400 <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      com>                       cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  Re: Bytecode
cache & WAS5.0

                      java400-l-bounces@m

                      idrange.com

                      11/26/2003 12:00 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Java Programming on

                      and around the

                      iSeries / AS400

I do not know what you have you tried, but my understanding of the
bytecode cache is that it would basically just allow the JVM to
short-circuit the JIT process on subsequent restarts of the JVM.  So the
only difference you would see would be on subsequent invocations of your
class files in a new JVM, and even then all you could observe would be
that the JIT step would run faster.

In other words, I do not think there is much you can do to really see
this
effect unless you have some classes with long JIT times.  Also, I
believe
the JIT process doesn't even kick-in until your class/method has been
used
X number of times within a single JVM instance, so it may take some
substantial usage before your class is even JIT compiled and you can
take
advantage of the bytecode cache.

Mark

"Raikov, Leonid" <RaikovL1@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/26/2003 12:44 PM
Please respond to Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400