We are still on V4R5.  This is the Java part of our installed licensed
programs:
5769JC1    *BASE   AS/400 Toolbox for Java
5769JV1    *BASE   AS/400 Developer Kit for Java
5769JV1    1       Java Developer Kit 1.1.6
5769JV1    2       Java Developer Kit 1.1.7
5769JV1    3       Java Developer Kit 1.2
5769JV1    4       Java Developer Kit 1.1.8
5769JV1    5       Java Developer Kit 1.3

With no systemdefault.properties file anywhere, the default in Qshell shows:

java -version
java version "1.1.8"

compiling and running the ShowMeClasspath java program shows:

java ShowMeClasspath
CLASSPATH=/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk118/lib/jdkptf118.zip:/QIBM/ProdData/Jav
a400/jdk118/lib/classes.zip:/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/ex
t/IBMmisc.jar:/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/ext/db2_classes.jar:/QIBM/ProdData/Java
400/ext/jssl.jar:/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/ext/ibmjssl.j
ar:/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jt400ntv.jar:/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/:.:/home/jdunn

I have set a *JOB environment variable as:    .:/home/jdunn
The problem:

When I try using the 1.3 JDK (or the 1.2 JDK), the following happens:

java -Djava.version=1.3 ShowMeClasspath
CLASSPATH=.:/home/jdunn

setting up a systemdefault.properties file in my home directory
(/home/jdunn) with:

java.version=1.3

I get the following:

java -version
java version "1.3.0"
$
java ShowMeClasspath
CLASSPATH=.:/home/jdunn

I have seen some posts about V4R5 and the 1.3 JDK, but no resolutions.  It
seems like the "system" portion of the CLASSPATH doesn't get "loaded" if I
try to use any JDK other that 1.1.8.  The defective CLASSPATH is a problem
when I try to compile a java program using 1.3.  I get all sorts of:

javac ShowMeClasspath.java
ShowMeClasspath.java:2: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class String
location: class ShowMeClasspath
public static void main(String[] args)
                                  ^

that does NOT happen when I use the default 1.1.8 environment.  Could
someone help me?  If someone does have JDK 1.3 working successfully on V4R5,
could you compile and run ShowMeClasspath.java and post the output?

ShowMeClasspath.java:

class ShowMeClasspath {
public static void main(String[] args)
{
System.out.println("CLASSPATH=" +System.getProperty("java.class.path"));