> > From: ttufankj@xxxxxxxxx
> >
> > The two of us in my shop are new to Java.  We've been working
> > with Visual Age and are finally starting to master it.  Now
> > we find that IBM is dropping support in December.  The
> > Websphere Studio has a GUI ide but it doesn't use connections
> > like VAJ.  I can't believe we invested all of this time to
> > learn a product and then IBM drops it!   I guess we'll have
> > to learn how to code our own events.

VCE is a dangerous thing to rely on.  All of those visual linkages
are stored in a proprietary format that no other builder can use.
Those link lines DO generate code that runs anywhere, but you can
only see those lines in VAJ.  No matter what tool you go to, you
will not be able to take those links with you.  We had one project
that relied on those things and we found out really fast how much
trouble you get into relying on proprietary stuff like that when
the repository holding that linkage information was corrupted.

> From: joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm a longtime VAJ user (and advocate), but I never really used
> the VCE that much.  I would occasionally use it to see how it
> generated code, but once I understood it, I would rewrite my
> own version, wrapper that code in my own classes, and then I
> didn't need the GUI designer anymore.

I think Joe hit the nail right on the head.  Use the VCE to quickly
view/test your graphical
classes, but don't use it to code with.  That seems to be the tack that IBM
took with WSAD
5's GUI builder.  There are no "link" lines anymore.  In fact, most of the
information that the
visual builder needs can be gleaned from the Java source itself.

Chris DeLashmutt
Senior R&D Analyst
LeasePlan USA
1165 Sanctuary Pkwy., Alpharetta, GA  30004
Phone: 678-202-8695
Fax: 678-566-8551

                      "Joe Pluta"

                      <joepluta@plutabrot        To:       "'Java Programming
on and around the iSeries / AS400'"
                      hers.com>                   <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                   cc:

                      java400-l-bounces@m        Subject:  RE: Survey: How do
YOU develop Java on iSeries?
                      idrange.com

                      10/01/2003 10:02 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Java Programming on

                      and around the

                      iSeries / AS400

> From: ttufankj@xxxxxxxxx
>
> The two of us in my shop are new to Java.  We've been working with
Visual
> Age and are finally starting to master it.  Now we find that IBM is
> dropping support in December.  The Websphere Studio has a GUI ide but
it
> doesn't use connections like VAJ.  I can't believe we invested all of
this
> time to learn a product and then IBM drops it!   I guess we'll have to
> learn how to code our own events.

Whatever you do, try to stick with WDSC.  This tool is the real deal.
I've spent a lot of time with the JDT (the Java tooling) and the iSeries
extensions, and recently I started taking a look at the web development
pieces, and I'll tell you - WDSC is the best all around IDE I've ever
seen.

Since you use VAJ, I assume your development is in Swing.  While that's
fine, I'd suggest looking into SWT (the Standard Widget Toolkit) which
is part of Eclipse (and thus part of WDSC).  SWT creates faster, more
"native" looking applications than Swing.  (As an unabashed plug, my
book Eclipse: Step by Step shows an example of a simple SWT application
that accesses a database.)

I'm a longtime VAJ user (and advocate), but I never really used the VCE
that much.  I would occasionally use it to see how it generated code,
but once I understood it, I would rewrite my own version, wrapper that
code in my own classes, and then I didn't need the GUI designer anymore.

There are Eclipse plug-ins currently available that may help you in your
quest for a WDSC GUI design tool, but I haven't spent much time with
them.  This is probably the place where WDSC falls short compared to
VAJ, and I feel for you if you've been using the VCE a lot.  But if
you're going to move on to web development, Eclipse/WDSC is really the
way to go.

Joe