I wouldn't try learning this on an iSeries, unless all you have is a dumb
terminal.

You could compile a very simple class, like HelloWorld without your
classpath set, but you will not be able to run it.

Your classpath is not correct.  At a minimum, it needs to include /Java.
You can also do a CHGCURDIR to /Java prior to entering QShell.  Then just
make sure that '.' is in your classpath.

The reference to the ../jt400/lib folder in your classpath is also not
correct.  You can only put folders in your classpath if the folder
contains .class file (including the package directories).  "lib" folders
typically contain JAR files.  JAR files have to be specifically added to
your classpath.

So, let's assume that you want jt400.jar in your classpath for some
reason.  Your classpath environment variable should look like this:

/Java:/QIBM/ProdData/HTTP/Public/jt400/lib/jt400.jar:
/QIBM/ProdData/HTTP/Public/jt400/lib/data400.jar:
/QIBM/ProdData/HTTP/Public/jt400/lib/x4j400.jar

And you could possibly have replaced /Java with a single dot, provided
your current directory was /Java.
.:/QIBM/ProdData/HTTP/Public/jt400/lib/jt400.jar:
/QIBM/ProdData/HTTP/Public/jt400/lib/data400.jar:
/QIBM/ProdData/HTTP/Public/jt400/lib/x4j400.jar

Mark

"Steven Molinaro" <smolinaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/23/2003 01:42 PM
Please respond to Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400