Niall,

I tried to generate an example to understand what
you are starting with and realized that I can't just
start with a pcml document. Can you post the
relevant parts of your serializer and generated
class? I suspect that you could use reflection or
class generation through something like cglib but
without seeing what you are working with it is
difficult to know.

David Morris

>>> niallsemail@xxxxxxxxx 8/19/2003 8:15:07 PM >>>
All

After a week or so of writing java classes that use
PCML documents to do remote calls to iSeries RPG
programs, I started making them available as SOAP
services on Tomcat. This was all proof of concept
work.

Now, the way forward from here was to start using the
development tools in WDSC to generate as much as
possible as it also allows you to package the whole
project up into a convenient EAR for deployment on
Websphere.

I can use the java classes I originally wrote, using
generated PCML documents and can then create a web
service out of the project. Using the test client that
is ( optionally ) generated the web service is
consumed and returns the expected results from the RPG
program on the iSeries.

However, WDSC has an iSeries Program Call Wizard,
which in isolation is brilliant. However when it
generates the java class for the remote RPG call, it
also generates an additional class call xxResult (
where 'xx' is the name of the generated java class
which accesses the iSeries. )

The generated class uses one of these xxxResult
objects to return the data from the iSeries. Works
very well in isolation, but there is no standard SOAP
serializer for the xxxResult objects.

This means I have to write my own serializer for each
xxxReturn class that is generated. Not that keen.

Has anyone else come across this and found a
workaround ? Apart from this problem I can use the IDE
to generate virtually everything I need to turn a
legacy RPG program into a web service.

As I said, I can write and build everything myself as
a workaround, but if there's an easier way.......

Regards

Niall