    Hi Ken,

    I ( very ) recently had a similar question posed at the developerWorks
Java Filter Forum.  See "is connection alive?" at

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=177&cat=10

for my generic thoughts.

    If your pool is *only* for AS/400/iSeries, the the standard method is to
use AS400JDBCConnectionPool in JTOpen/Toolbox and it will handle the
issue for you.  Basically, it uses an internal AS400 object to ping the
database port.

    There was a series of messages to do with using a DataSource and
AS400JDBCConnectionPool, July 28-30, 2003 that may be helpful.  Search
the list archive for "dataSource.getConnection jt400".

    I also have some thoughts and comments regarding your earlier "RPG to
Java Conversion" messages if I can ever get to it.  Right now for a planned
product  I'm going through design, code, test, accessibility, i18n and
back...and back...and back...possible reporting project...possible database
conversion project...whoops! and back...    ;-P  Take care,

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400