On 08/13/2003 at 01:26:51 PM, java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Anybody know about these limits and if/how I can control them?
--- end of excerpt ---

iSeries has an environment limitation of around 16MB the environment is
extended dynamically as required up to that limit. There is no limit that I
know of
on length of individual variables and their values, the max number of
variables is 4095.

In any case, that's probably not _directly_ the issue.

Signal 5 is SIGSEGV. Its likely something else is going on that is related
to the
long environment variables than this particular environment limit.

Note that you can't tell from the error you've shown exactly _what_ in the
script fails, just that it fails with SIGSEGV.
I.e. it may be one of the other tools/utilities you're using, not a java
related
thing or directly the environment variables limit.

Usually a SIGSEGV will be accompanied by a joblog from the utility
that you started that hit it (or from the script process if Qshell hit it
on its own).
That joblog will have an MCH message (typically MCH3601 or something
similar)
in it. That message will indicate which program/module took the exception
and may
give you a better hint.
Use WRKSPLF and keep looking till you find it. Let me know what it has in
it.

"The stuff we call "software" is not like anything that human society
  is used to thinking about. Software is something like a machine, and
  something like mathematics, and something like language, and
  something like thought, and art, and information...
  but software is not in fact any of those other things."
Bruce Sterling - The Hacker Crackdown

Fred A. Kulack - IBM eServer iSeries - Enterprise Application Solutions
ERP, Java DB2 access, Jdbc, JTA, etc...
IBM in Rochester, MN  (Phone: 507.253.5982   T/L 553-5982)
mailto:kulack@xxxxxxxxxx   Personal: mailto:kulack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AIM Home:FKulack  AIM Work:FKulackWrk
MSN Work: fakulack@xxxxxxxxxxx