Wow, I guess I need to check my email more often. Looks like I've got several questions to answer.

Why did we replace some business logic and the interface at the same time? Well, it just worked out better that way. A lot of the business logic that we put in was new or "enhanced". So the timing was right. In the future we will pick and choose which projects we should replace/rework some or none of the business logic.

Why didn't we use client side Java? For the obvious headaches associated with deploying/distributing Client/Server apps. Java Webstart was brand new when we started, and is a technology that we would like to research in comparison to Applets. So, if anyone has experience with Webstart and Applets, please let me know what you think the pros and cons of each are.

Why not use Visualage for RPG? Well, if I remember correctly, when we evaluated it, it generated Client/Server code. This is a model that we wanted to avoid, as stated above. I don't know about it's ability to generate Java.

Why not use Transidiom? Well, the "no per-seat" license isn't as advantageous for us. We are a software shop and a hardware reseller. So each of our installations would have to absorb the cost of the Transidiom server, increasing the price of our software. While a partial conversion to Java is costly as far as training and time lost during training, it is an investment in the future. We can change the way we create new software, so that we don't have to depend on a 3rd party tool to support "aging" programming methodologies. -- With that said, we don't plan on dumping JWalk and RPG, and we can't rule out using tools like Transidiom and Mr. Pluta's tool for applications that we don't want to spend the time converting by hand. We have many, many applications that could possibly be implemented differently. The applications that we have chosen to convert are ones that we want total control and flexibility over. Our RPG applications are always being changed and enhanced, and that won't change. We don't have applications that stay the same. We do have parts of an application that are mature and don't seem to change much anymore, and we are going to try to leverage that. I guess my point is, if we are always changing application code, what 's the difference if we do it in RPG or Java. The only negative one that I can think of is the initial learning curve associated with the change (and I can think of several advantages). That is what my initial query was about. Does anyone know of "best practices, success stories, etc..." literature of taking a few RPG developers to Java? I did NOT mean to give the impression that "we are converting tomorrow and never looking back".

Ken Kennedy