Martin,

We run WAS on our iSeries.  I'm sure you will get lots of opinions but here
are mine and our experiences:

1.)  We were running on a 720 on V5R1 with barely adequate memory.  The
processor itself was cruising (typically below 50% utilization).
Performance was questionable.  There were times that we knew we were
specifically dealing with memory issues when it came to performance.
Bouncing the server nightly solved that problem.

2.)  Upgraded to an 8xx with additional memory the problem went away.

3.)  We did do some testing on a relatively beefy xSeries (235) with 4GB of
memory.  It was only slightly faster than our 720.  I will admit we did not
delve into it in any great detail.  That was enough for us to say, we
upgrading to the 820 for other purposes - let's wait and do that and see
where we stand.

4.)  Generally, WAS does not care where the data is.  Personally, I think
the performance gain with the xSeries was somehow offset by the network
(100GB ETH).  It really shouldn't be that significant but that might depend
on your data access needs.

5.)  Operationally, our lives are much simpler implementing it on the
iSeries.  However, I am biased and usually tend to look at our efforts and
issues as being just as critical as the acquisition cost.  TCO all the way.
WAS takes very little of our CPU at this time.

Based on your comments I would say a critical issue is whether or not you
will be upgrading.  As you may have noticed with some other discussions CPW
and processor utilization don't really mean anything towards WAS - it's all
processor speed and L2 cache.  Also, I would be more concerned with not
whether you have to activate another processor because of WAS but what if
you have to activate another processor for something else....how much is
WAS going to cost you?  IBM's pricing for WAS really kind of stinks - but
it was somewhat moot for us because we went with enterprise licensing on an
825.  Decision wasn't as painful.

HTH.....sorry for rambling.

Mike

                      Martin Rowe

                      <martin@xxxxxxxxx        To:       ign_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      t>                       cc:       Java Programming on
and around the iSeries / AS400 <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                               bcc:

                      07/09/03 04:08 PM        Subject:  WepSphere Application
Server platform choice
                      Please respond to

                      Java Programming

                      on and around the

                      iSeries / AS400

Hi all

For those of you running WAS, what platform are you running it on? We're
about to start development on a new order entry project that will use
WebSphere and initially I just assumed we'd want WAS running natively on
the iSeries. Then in talks with a BP about hardware upgrades (two 730s to
upgrade by October), running WAS on an xSeries was mentioned. The BP had
recently finished a project which had WAS on Linux on an xSeries, and it
was performing very well. It got me thinking, as the cost of the extra
RAM we'd need to put on the iSeries to cope with WAS should easily cover
the cost of a suitably equipped Lintel server. Plus there's the cost of
activating another processor if the extra WAS workload on the iSeries
slowed other processes down.

How much difference is there in running WAS on a different platform (or
even LPAR) to the database (plus a large number of legacy RPG batch apps
in our case). Is there much latency introduced or any other big
disadvantages to non-native WAS? Does a lot depend on the type of
workload - transactional vs enquiry etc?

I'm sure we'll get good advice from the BPs involved, but I'd appreciate
thoughts from those of you who've already gone down this route.

Regards, Martin