Dieter,
        Thanks for all your help and patience, and thanks to everyone else
who piped up. Have a good day!

Dan Feather

Dieter.Bender@xxxxxxxxxxx (Dieter Bender)
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/08/2003 09:59 AM
Please respond to Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400

        To:     Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: RPGLE Stored Procedures and Thread Safety

Dan

there is no confusion at all and nothing to apologize.

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 15:31, you wrote:
> Hi,
>         Thanks to all for the information. I think I may have
incorrectly
> described the situation. I "said" several multi-threaded applications.
> What I was "thinking" was several Websphere applications... not exactly
> the same thing I know, and I apologize. My typing wasn't keeping up with
> my thoughts, or vice versa.
>
>         So, that being said, as far as synchronizing on the JDBC
> Connection object, I don't think that is necessary, since I am getting a
> connection from the Websphere connection pool, using it, and putting it
> back for each call. Even with multiple-requests getting serviced by the
> same app at the same time, they wouldn't all be using the same
Connection
> object, and I am certain my Java code is thread -safe. So I think it is
> safe there.

exactly

>         I am beginning to think everything will be fine. I believe, and
> correct me if I am wrong, every call will be serviced by a different
job.

exactly

> That being the case, I think I will be able to make multiple calls to
the
> RPGLE stored procedure, and since they are each running in a different
> job, I shouldn't have to worry about their thread safety.

exactly

The RPGLE
> program does not update any files.

that would make no diffrence

The only concern I would have is the
> output parameters possibly getting hosed. But, if I understand things
> correctly, that problem goes away if they are running in different jobs.

only one problem might be left: the jobs are reused and the stored
procedure
might stay activated and reinitialisation might be an issue.

Dieter

--
mfG

Dieter Bender