> For another approach, you might want to consider setting the
> QIBM_CHILD_JOB_SNDINQMSG environment variable.  This works for all
spawned
> processes, not just JVMs.  This is also helpful when debugging shell
scripts
> executed via STRQSH(command).

> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/rzaha/qibmenv.htm

Gary:

I don't that would work for me.  The IBM docs on QIBM_CHILD_JOB_SNDINQMSG
states that it sends a message *BEFORE* starting the JVM.  The problem
with STRDBG, is that it doesn't work properly with Java classes until the
JVM is started.  IBM actually states that when using
'QIBM_CHILD_JOB_SNDINQMSG' (see the very last line from above link
describing it).  Using the above approach would alert me just before the
JVM is started but it still wouldn't allow me to add the Java module to
STRDBG and set Java breakpoints until after the JVM is started.  I solved
this by having RPG automatically startup the JVM for me when I call the
constructor method from my Java program.  Then I just set the breakpoint
within my RPG to point to the line just after calling my constructor.  I
can then add my Java class to the modules being debugged and set my
breakpoint.