> Joe,

<sigh>  Yes, Dieter?

> What about scalability of applications using record level access?!
> Isn't it true, that every process needs it own AS/400 Object for
> the requests to the database?

No.

> What about transaction handling!?
> Isn't it true, that it's more complicated wih rla compared to sql
> (similar
> situation in rpg rla versus embedded sql)?

No.

> What about application design?!
> Isn't it true, that you will find all key relations of your
> database in your
> application logic, like in rpg programs using rla?

Yes.

> What about using EJBs?!
> Isn't it true, that you can't use Container managed persistence with RLA?

Yes.

> What about Java standards and proven best practices?!
> Isn't it true, that only very very few people use rla to access the as400
> database from a java application compared to the rest of the
> world using JDBC
> to access relational databases?

Who cares?  Three decades of proven practices in RPG trumps whatever you've
come up with in your five years of Java programming.  The "rest of the
world"?  I beg to differ with you on how many more database transactions are
processed by RPG than Java.  I will say more people use JDBC than RLA, but
more AS/400 programmers understand indexed access than SQL.

> What about surviving critical reviews of customers?!
> Isn't it true, that you will come in trouble in every review of third
> parties. What should I answer to the question - why don't you use proven
> technics?

No.  RLA is a proven technique.  It uses ISAM, which has been around a lot
longer than SQL.

> What about maintainability of the application?!
> Isn't it true, that you will have problems to find people who
> understand the
> code?

Yes.

> Summary of all: If the situation of the as400 is that we would
> have to use
> RLA to match the performance requirements, then the as400 will be
> a (very)
> nice rpg machine and java applications will run on other platforms using
> other database servers.

I don't think any I/O should be done via JDBC, I think it should all be done
through stored procedures.  I think EJBs are a myth and forces too much
overhead, I don't think CMP works in a business environment and BMP is
simply writing your own persistence anyway, and I believe the cleanest
design is to add persistence where it belongs, at the business object level,
with a design specific to the site.

> PS: And I would have to make a decision, wether I want to write
> rpg programs
> or I have to change the platform because I prefer java.

Dieter, I can't wait for the day you stop using the AS/400 and use a better
machine.