Joe,

What about scalability of applications using record level access?!
Isn't it true, that every process needs it own AS/400 Object for the requests
to the database?

What about transaction handling!?
Isn't it true, that it's more complicated wih rla compared to sql (similar
situation in rpg rla versus embedded sql)?

What about application design?!
Isn't it true, that you will find all key relations of your database in your
application logic, like in rpg programs using rla?

What about using EJBs?!
Isn't it true, that you can't use Container managed persistence with RLA?

What about Java standards and proven best practices?!
Isn't it true, that only very very few people use rla to access the as400
database from a java application compared to the rest of the world using JDBC
to access relational databases?

What about surviving critical reviews of customers?!
Isn't it true, that you will come in trouble in every review of third
parties. What should I answer to the question - why don't you use proven
technics?

What about maintainability of the application?!
Isn't it true, that you will have problems to find people who understand the
code?

Summary of all: If the situation of the as400 is that we would have to use
RLA to match the performance requirements, then the as400 will be a (very)
nice rpg machine and java applications will run on other platforms using
other database servers.

Dieter

PS: And I would have to make a decision, wether I want to write rpg programs
or I have to change the platform because I prefer java.