From: Blair Wyman [mailto: blairw@xxxxxxxxxx]
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:18:37 -0600
Subject: Re: Tomcat & Apache on Three AS400's

wrote:<br>> I have Tomcat 4.1.12 loaded on three AS400's teamed up with IBMs
PTF<br>> distribution of Apache.  I got Tomcat running on one as400 and
couple ideas...<br><br>You might want to compare the WRKSYSSTS info on the two
machines.  In<br>particular,<br>check the MAXACTLVL of the pools, and make sure
SAV/RST?  (That would probably be worth a try, if<br>not,<br>since SAV/RST will
attempt to preserve any Direct Execution (DE) programs<br>attached to the JAR
files you are SAV/RSTing...)<br><br>In addition to OS400 version and PTF level,
something else worth comparing<br>between the machines might be the JVAPGM
and don't mind having some fun in the QShell,<br>the following commands from
QSH might be worth a run on the various<br>machines.<br>Note that they could
take several minutes to run, esp. the find that does<br>the<br>dspjvapgm
command, but comparing the files with 'diff' could
you machine-specific<br>files that will be comparable (to some degree, at
list of PTFs on $mybox into a file in /tmp<br>system dspptf >
/tmp/${mybox}_ptfs.txt<br><br># take a list of all files under the directory in
question<br># into a file in /tmp named after the box<br> find /home/tomcat
-type f  | xargs ls -l > /tmp/${mybox}_filelist.txt<br><br># for each .jar or
.zip file under the directory in question,<br># save its JVAPGM status into a
file named after the box<br># NB. The following command should one long
line<br>#     (Leave out the 2>&1 to see stderr output on the console)<br> find
/home/tomcat \( -name '*.jar' -o -name '*.zip' \) -exec system<br>"dspjvapgm
these commands should provide four files in your /tmp directory.<br>If the
machine name is "FRED" you'll have
/tmp/FRED_env.txt,<br>/tmp/FRED_filelist.txt, /tmp/FRED_jpinfo.txt,
/tmp/FRED_ptfs.txt.  I'm not<br>sure how comparable the _jpinfo.txt files will
be, but the _env.txt and<br>_filelist.txt files should look pretty close to the
same between boxen.<br>(The dspptf output will have lines that have the system
can replace the dspjvapgm in the foregoing<br>command with a dltjvapgm, which
will blow away any associated JVAPGMs for<br>the jars and zips under
/home/tomcat.  This would ensure that the JIT will<br>be in total control,
which is not a bad idea, but do NOT execute this<br>command for any *other*
directories than those you've personally installed<br>-- I believe that doing
dltjvapgm on "system" jar files can corrupt them to<br>the point of requiring a
reinstall of the java product!  :-O<br><br>Just a few suggestions.
everuthig works great.  But on the second install I can<br>only get<br>> tomcat
to work standalone.  It absolutely refuses to function with the<br>Apache<br>>
plugin.  When I install the apache-tomcat plugin module to the
my Sys Admin guy scour the three 400's for differences, but we<br>can<br>> find
none.  PTF levels are the same.  In one act of desparation we did
a<br>full<br>> backup of one of the working machines and restored it to the
non-working<br>> machine and still ended up with the same result.  I am left
confounded.<br>We<br>> called IBM support, but since we are using the Jakarta
have any ideas what I can look for?  Any help appreciated.  Some<br>more<br>>
details follow for those who are interested.<br>><br>>
253-2891<br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br>"It is a sobering thought that
when Mozart was my age,<br>he had been dead for two years." -- Tom
is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400 (JAVA400-L) mailing
list<br>To post a message email: JAVA400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx<br>To subscribe,
unsubscribe, or change list options,<br>visit: