On Tuesday, 03/25/2003 at 10:52 EST, "Larry" <larryhytail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have Tomcat 4.1.12 loaded on three AS400's teamed up with IBMs PTF
> distribution of Apache.  I got Tomcat running on one as400 and then
copied the
> tomcat directory to the other two AS400s.

A couple ideas...

You might want to compare the WRKSYSSTS info on the two machines.  In
particular,
check the MAXACTLVL of the pools, and make sure they are comparable between
machines.

How did you do the copy?  SAV/RST?  (That would probably be worth a try, if
not,
since SAV/RST will attempt to preserve any Direct Execution (DE) programs
attached to the JAR files you are SAV/RSTing...)

In addition to OS400 version and PTF level, something else worth comparing
between the machines might be the JVAPGM status of any jar files you
transferred.

If you are on V5R1 or later, and don't mind having some fun in the QShell,
the following commands from QSH might be worth a run on the various
machines.
Note that they could take several minutes to run, esp. the find that does
the
dspjvapgm command, but comparing the files with 'diff' could be
interesting...

Here's a sequence of QSH commands that will give you machine-specific
files that will be comparable (to some degree, at least) between the
machines.

In QSH:

# get the name of this machine into a variable
mybox=$( uname -a | cut -d' ' -f2 )

# if you want to see the value
echo ${mybox}

# get a list of the current environment into a file
set > /tmp/${mybox}_env.txt

# get a complete list of PTFs on $mybox into a file in /tmp
system dspptf > /tmp/${mybox}_ptfs.txt

# take a list of all files under the directory in question
# into a file in /tmp named after the box
 find /home/tomcat -type f  | xargs ls -l > /tmp/${mybox}_filelist.txt

# for each .jar or .zip file under the directory in question,
# save its JVAPGM status into a file named after the box
# NB. The following command should one long line
#     (Leave out the 2>&1 to see stderr output on the console)
 find /home/tomcat \( -name '*.jar' -o -name '*.zip' \) -exec system
"dspjvapgm '{}'" >> /tmp/${mybox}_jpinfo 2>&1 \;

...end of QSH.

Running these commands should provide four files in your /tmp directory.
If the machine name is "FRED" you'll have /tmp/FRED_env.txt,
/tmp/FRED_filelist.txt, /tmp/FRED_jpinfo.txt, /tmp/FRED_ptfs.txt.  I'm not
sure how comparable the _jpinfo.txt files will be, but the _env.txt and
_filelist.txt files should look pretty close to the same between boxen.
(The dspptf output will have lines that have the system name, but otherwise
should be comparable.)

If you get desperate, you can replace the dspjvapgm in the foregoing
command with a dltjvapgm, which will blow away any associated JVAPGMs for
the jars and zips under /home/tomcat.  This would ensure that the JIT will
be in total control, which is not a bad idea, but do NOT execute this
command for any *other* directories than those you've personally installed
-- I believe that doing dltjvapgm on "system" jar files can corrupt them to
the point of requiring a reinstall of the java product!  :-O

Just a few suggestions.  HTH.

-blair

> On the original install and the
> third install everuthig works great.  But on the second install I can
only get
> tomcat to work standalone.  It absolutely refuses to function with the
Apache
> plugin.  When I install the apache-tomcat plugin module to the apache
config,
> the Apache instance will not start.
>
> I have had my Sys Admin guy scour the three 400's for differences, but we
can
> find none.  PTF levels are the same.  In one act of desparation we did a
full
> backup of one of the working machines and restored it to the non-working
> machine and still ended up with the same result.  I am left confounded.
We
> called IBM support, but since we are using the Jakarta distribution of
Tomcat
> they were less than helpful.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what I can look for?  Any help appreciated.  Some
more
> details follow for those who are interested.
>
> Larry

-blair

Blair Wyman -- iSeries JVM -- (507) 253-2891
"It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age,
he had been dead for two years." -- Tom Lehrer