Etienne, why are you troubled?  IBM owns JT400 (and JTOpen), so I would have
thought you would have asked them these questions.

Let me try to address a few things, though:

1. What do you think prepared statement pooling is?  Remember, JDBC 3.0
doesn't say anything about the implementation of PSP, simply that there is
an interface for it.  Now, do you expect PSP to work across sessions, across
connections, or only within a single connection?

2. Which settings?

3. I don't know that they relate at all.

4. I recommend connection pooling for any application that has an unknown
but potentially very large number of connections.  This is typically the
case in an Internet application.  For a smaller number of users, I still
prefer persistent connections held at the session level.