> From: Glen Marchesani
>
> I at first was leary of using JNI, had heard
> lot's of negative things: error prone, poor performance.  My
> implementation
> was using JNI as a thin wrapper to allow my java code to call all
> the Canon
> SDK functions directly.  In other words I didn't write much code in C
> besides function call proxies.  The main idea being get the data into java
> and do my processing there.  It has worked great and could be a good
> alternative depending on the complexity of the SDK versus the COM object.

This is also the basic philosophy of the SWT packages.  Rather than a true
OO encapsulation of a GUI, they are a thin veneer over the operating system.
They are very fast, and very powerful.  The only downside is that you have
to be careful about things like memory management.  As soon as you step
outside the bounds of the JVM, you once again have to worry about the more
mundane aspects of programming like pointers and memory leaks.

Joe