You should send replies to the list, there are a lot of people on the list,
including IBM'ers that could help.

As far as I know, the JDBC driver in the toolbox talks to the exact same
server job as the ODBC driver, so there should not be any LIC issues.  To
be safe, I would make sure I was using a version of the toolbox the claims
to support V4R4.

You sure that the slowdown is not in building the XML DOM?