Yes, that is what solved a similar problem for me.  Look at the problem file,
and the
problem fields and see what the CCSID is.  If it is something other than 37,
putting
translate binary=true will force binary to be translated to text.  I accessed
some files in
JD Edwards and for some reason, the text fields had been set to a different
CCSID.

Kristen