    Hi Geert,

    I/m pretty sure your problem is that the RPG program is dealing with
EBCDIC while Java sees it in Unicode.  Here's an ASCII-EBCDIC chart that
shows the control characters:

http://www.natural-innovations.com/computing/asciiebcdic.html

    According to it, EBCDIC hex 10 is Start of Manual Message.  hex 13 is CR
for both, and it calls EBCDIC hex 15 a New Line, hex 25 Line Feed.

    You are clearly thinking Windows, since you want to use both ASCII hex
0D and hex 0A, but probably just the line feed would work for email.

    I've done some stuff with this before, but it's been a while and I'm too
busy to mess around right now for free.  I would first print out the
ASCII/EBCDIC translation table.  That will tell you how characters are
getting converted.  Another way to tell is to write a small program in Java
to read the RPG generated text and print the Unicodehex that results from
the EBCDIC hex 0D0A, then try the other values.  HTH,

                                                        Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah          www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Qué Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400